Monday, June 26, 2006

Its Alive !!! The Purple Smoke Bush

At last, we have a bit of something worthy to show. I paid only $3.95 for what would someday become a nice big Purple Smoke Bush.
http://www.directgardening.com/detail.asp?pid=5393

I have to admit I was skeptical upon receiving what appeared to be a 15 inch dead stick, with a few little fuzzy hairs at the bottom. I did transplant it once when it appeared the mixture I made of our garden soil and compost did not have enough drainage. But finally, at last, a very tiny little purple bud arrived, soon to be adorned with a number of tiny leaves. It was to be a few more weeks, though, before a few more purple buds were to arrive. I wish I had paid closer attention this year to when I received items, and when they were transplanted, with with so much to do, I didn't even think of it.

The purple smoke bush is said to be a fast grower, I suspect, however, that it will be safer left in the pot and the garage this winter. Of course, one can go out and just buy much larger plants. But aside from the money savings, there is something to be said for the daily pleasure of watching the bare roots and small plants fill out over time. Of course, there will always be losses too, but while you are busy doing other things, who knows what will germinate!

No comments: